How to score high in PTE listening -Highlight Correct Summary:
PTE Highlight Correct Summary is an activity based on analyzing, comprehending, interpreting and combining information from an audio clip to choose the most suitable summary from the given options.It helps asses both the reading and listening skills.
You will be tested on your ability to identify the topics, themes and main ideas, supporting points and examples, comprehending concrete and abstract information and also inferring meanings of unfamiliar words.
Strategies for scoring high in PTE HighlightCorrectSummary
- Read instructions and be aware of this item type before you take up the exam.In the audio status box, the status will count down from 10 seconds. Then a recording will play automatically.Don’t waste time reading the instructions when the recording begins to play.
- Read the given options. You will hear the primary idea and the supporting idea from the audio recording.
- While listening don’t try to copy down the whole recording word-to-word as youmay overlook or ignore important points. Instead, note down only the important ideas of the recording using the erasable notepad and pen. Use memory to remember all the important ideas and information.
- Remember and make a note of the implications, relationships and conclusions mentioned after the speech ends.
- After your recording has finished, go through the notes and then read the options given on the screen.
- If an option has the same primary and the sub topics, mark it as a likely answer. Your response will be highlighted in yellow. If an option has only some of the sub topics or has additional information then mark it as an unlikely answer.
- Use the method of elimination. Match the option that has the same information, inter-relation, implications and conclusions as in the recording.
- Attempt the question if you are not sure of the answer. It is better to attempt it than to leave it unanswered since this item type does not have negative marking.
- Scoring is quite simple. You score one mark for correct answer and zero for an incorrect answer.
Here’s a transcript of an audio recording. For practice, ask a friend to read the passage aloud to you while you note down the main points.
Transcript: I’d like you to think for a moment about your hands and all the things you can do with them. You can use them to write or to drive. You can thread a needle, play the drums, build a wall and so on and so forth. They can be careful and precise – think of someone doing eye surgery, for example. But they can also generate huge forces. And here you might think of the sportsperson throwing a discus or lifting a heavy weight. How is it possible for our hands to be so incredibly flexible? Well, it’s all down to the extraordinary complexity of the bones, ligaments, nerves and muscles that lie beneath the skin of our hands. There are, for example, nine muscles alone controlling just one thumb. Some of these are anchored to bones within the hand, while others link to the arm.
Note down the main points as you hear the audio:
- What you can do with your hands
- Hands are flexible
- Complex bones, ligaments, nerves, muscles
- 9 muscles controlling 1 thumb
- What makes people unique compared to other creatures is their hands. Their flexibility has allowed us to develop the manual skills that have made society what it is today. People should become more aware of the complicated anatomy of each of their hands.
—- manual skills …. People should become more aware of the complicated anatomy of each of their hands …… these ideas are not mentioned in the paragraph.
- The thumb is the part of our hand which is most complicated in terms of the number of muscles which are required to control it. However, each of our fingers also depends on a set of nerves and muscles which enables it to carry out an extraordinary variety of different actions.
—- each of our fingers also depends on a set of nerves and muscles which enables it to carry out an extraordinary variety of different actions …… these ideas are not mentioned in the paragraph.
- The amazing flexibility of the human hand is truly remarkable. It is the result of a complex anatomy lying under the skin of the hand, and it can be useful to study this anatomy if you want to learn how to use your hands more effectively for sporting or other purposes.
—- result of a complex anatomy lying under the skin of the hand, and it can be useful to study this anatomy…… these ideas are not mentioned in the paragraph.
- The human hand is extraordinarily flexible. It enables a person to do a remarkable variety of things, some demanding great precision and others requiring considerable strength. This is because of the complex structures of nerves, muscles and ligaments that make up a hand.
—- They can be careful and precise …… they can also generate huge forces …… How is it possible for our hands to be so incredibly flexible? …… the extraordinary complexity of the bones, ligaments, nerves and muscles that lie beneath the skin ….. since these ideas are mentioned in the paragraph, option 4 is the answer.
Practice Tips for scoring high in PTE Highlight Correct Summary
- Since this item type tests our mental skill, and one has to remain focused, you might find it easier to practice at home. Practice by keeping the nearby TV or Radio on to help yourself get used to the noise, interference and diversions around you.
- Work through/solve the questions methodically since time management is crucial for the listening test.
- Monitor yourself by engaging in a lot of practice activities. Find different question types online and practice from them.
- Listen and watch English channels, news, Radio channels etc. This helps us understand foreign accents and also improves our vocabulary.
- Read books, novels, newspapers, journals and articles etc. This assists in comprehending the strenuous passages and also the difficult phrases in the PTE Exam.